Sunday, April 4, 2010

Critical Mass

“For Christ plays in ten thousand places, lovely in limbs and lovely in eyes not his.”
-Gerard Hopkins


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjfqvvjJ1aNkVYOINqcTuNs3RE43ixwQPx1_KfTIfiAm0X_cesXn2zoYZ57P7W0Tsek8LneUQYGJHfwIvG5-pbBx5XwDEmwREnNwATQ79ItaVKP97eVIhdrQJ-ktWvpR5hbHfEhXyS8P72r/s400/jesus-motivational-poster+mcs.jpg
Fig.1 Eggs are for omelets, silly rabbit

My little cousin was raised Catholic. She went to a Catholic private school until eighth grade, serves at mass, goes to many church functions and camps and jokes about the priests’ varying sermon-giving skills with my grandma around the Easter dinner table.

One Easter Sunday we sat around and discussed the resurrection story, spun it into contemporary language, and in the end, realized that it was actually the craziest Spring Break “Disciples Gone Wild!” vacation story ever.

Just imagine Jesus explaining it to his mother:

“I don’t know what happened. One minute I was at a party, drinking with my buddies, the next, I wake up in a cave wrapped in a shroud. Then I looked at my hands and went, ‘Whoa, where the hell did those come from? And all these scars on my back and my head and this gash in my side… I swear, I had no clue what went on between Passover dinner and the cave, so I called Father and he moved the stone out of the doorway for me and went to find the guys.

“I asked Peter and Paul what happened. They were all like, ‘Dude, we thought you were dead,’ and I was like, ‘You morons!’ Son of God here! I am one with the Father and the Holy Spirit! Get with the program!

easter lol
Fig.2 TTYL

“They said that after the dinner we went to Gethsemane and got into so much trouble. Judas sold me out and the police came and arrested me and took me to trial and made me drag a cross through town and crucified me! Can you believe that? Wait, you saw all that? Holy shit. I don’t remember a thing.

“I mean, gese, listen: we came into Jerusalem, got A-list treatment at first, did some seriously awesome miracles… we were on a roll. Sure, Thomas forgot to book the restaurant I wanted for Passover, and the new place only let us all sit on once side of the table, but he came through. We were having fun! And then all this crap happened. *sigh* Tell you what. Life down here sucks. I’m out of here in 40 days. No, really, I’m gonna go live with Dad for a while. I think it’ll be the best thing for everyone.”

I apologize to Jesus for that, but I don’t think he sweats the small stuff.


http://cowsarejustfood.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/jesus.jpg
Fig.3 Bad carpentry

As I mentioned above, I have Catholics in my family. My grandmother grew up on a tobacco farm in Puerto Rico and has been Catholic all her life. I’ve been to mass a few times for happy and sad functions, and my cousin, with whom I am very close, is very active in her Catholic youth groups. My brother-in-law grew closer to his Catholicism while abroad in the Army. It’s not foreign to me at all, and frankly, compared to my protestant Christian upbringing, it never seemed all that different from what I saw at the Methodist church.

Stephen Colbert showed me the difference, though. My in-depth Catholic education sprung from him, and trickled into several pools and eddies along the way.

It began with one of Stephen’s favorite guests: Father James Martin, SJ, a.k.a. “The Colbert Report Chaplain.” He first came on the show to discuss the newly discovered letters of Mother Theresa that outlined her lengthy “dark night of the soul” and struggle with her thoughts on the “absence of God” in her life. Stephen, in his uppity and ironically iconoclastic “Stephen” guise, instantly condemned her for her lack of faith and Father Martin defended her, explaining the difference between not believing in God and believing in God’s absence.

The conversation was conducted in a manner that fans have come to expect from Stephen Colbert: hard-lined but respectful. His words and reactions are almost always hard-lined on the surface, but the questions and retorts actually display Stephen’s deep understanding of and respect for religion, especially the nuances of Christianity.

Fig.4 If Edward Norton doesn't play him
in a biopic, I don't know who else will

Father Martin, gamely playing along with Stephen’s otherwise inflammatory inquiries, displayed that winning combination of spirituality with a sense of humor and I couldn’t resist. I went to the library and checked out his book, My Life With The Saints. With this book, he sets out to provide a bit of a primer on why Catholics revere the saints, one of the biggest sticking points in the tension between Catholicism and protestant Christianity. Written in a warm, inviting, and good-natured tone, his stories of how several different saints informed touchstones or turning points at various periods in his life beautifully revealed the great value in this tenant of Catholicism that I had never really considered before, and it inspired me more than I could have imagined.

In the book, he details his childhood, his conversion from a business career in corporate finance to Jesuit seminary, his missionary trips to Uganda and Jamaica, his pilgrimage to Lourdes and spiritual retreats, and all along the way, he is introduced to different saints’ life stories. Each story somehow corresponds with a struggle or miracle in his own life, and in this way, he befriends them, coming to know them and all their flaws and profound faith in God as close companions in his heart and soul. As a Jesuit, Father Martin interprets this experience of the saints as just another way to see God in everything, and to learn from such visions and visitations.

Fig.5 I bring you Peeps

As I read My Life With The Saints, I came to realize how much we shared in our spiritual experience. None of my saints appear on silver medallions or on prayer cards or will ever be canonized by the Pope, but in that they pop up at advantageous times in my life and help guide it toward enlightenment. Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are as good as Ignatius of Loyola and Thérèse de Lisieux. Charlie Chaplin is my Patron Saint of Creativity. Michael J. Fox is my Patron Saint of Persistence. Dr. Temperance “Bones” Brennan is my Patron Saint of Logic. Paula Deen is my Patron Saint of Indulgence. Connie and Katrina are my patron Saints of Nerdiness. Elissa Hunter is my Patron Saint of Exploration… and Manatees.

It’s a distinctly Society of Jesus trait to “love God in all things—and all things in God,” which is a challenge to see God everywhere and learn from it. It’s a lesson not unlike that of Buddhism. If God is Wisdom, Truth, and Love, then Wisdom, Truth, and Love must be sought in all things. I see them in my saints everyday.

Happy Easter!


http://mediocritycomplex.com/uploads/jesus.aliens.gif

3 comments:

  1. Hi sir,
    No offense meant but though I liked the fact that you showed much faith in God and to the saints, I personally was saddened and offended for it seems that the respect was much given to the saints than to Jesus Christ who has overcome the world not for himself but for us. Maybe I was just unhappy with how your story went regarding Jesus' crucifixion and I don't think that it is proper to tell his story that way..but I am still hoping that in the future, Jesus Christ will work miraculously in your life and make you understand how great his power is and how he deeply loves you. more power to you and God bless.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense taken, dear reader. I appreciate your input.

    That said, I'm a Buddhist, so my comments on Jesus and Christianity are by no means the extent of my spiritual opinions. I find much interest in Christianity and Catholicism specifically, but that's all it really is: an interest. I take what I can from the teachings of Jesus and several other spiritual prophets and leaders throughout history and express my thoughts on my blog as a means to discuss ideas.

    I wish you a Happy Easter and thanks for participating in the discussion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bubbesattva,
    Hi! I was raised Catholic and have been a practicing Catholic for a majority of my life. Up until the past 3 years now have I only begun to take a deeper interest in the "spirituality" behind faith rather than following an actual "doctrine/religion".

    My path has led me to explore Buddhism, as well as Judaism, and Muslim and older ancient pagan practices, purely out of curiosity. I truly think we are all linked and spiritually tied into one another no matter the form of practice, it just takes an open eye to see the connections, as with your experiences with saints.

    I honor Jesus and find his figure as well as Buddha and others very influential, and having said that, my journey in other faiths has only deepened my faith and respect in Christ. And personally, I don't think Jesus would have had a problem with your rendition of his finally days.

    I thought it to be funny. I too just talked the other day about the Easter bunny getting linked with celebrating in the belief of the risen Christ.

    Pre-Christian pagan symbolism here, viewing rabbits as fertility, celebrating new birth during the Spring Equinox, combined with writings from the 1500's by German settlers in Pennsylvania Dutch country containing mythical stories of an egg laying bunny.

    But that is for another post some other time :) Hope you had a nice Easter, and happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete

You're welcome to comment. Just keep in mind this is a personal as well as an academic blog and I like to see thoughtful, respectful commentary. No offensive language or curt replies, please :)